Monday, October 8, 2007

tweens are fashionistas


Oldest daughter and I were recently cleaning out her closet. Suddenly she says "You used to always by me ugly clothes." Me, mouth agape and eyes wide, slightly hurt and confused look on face, says "Like what? What did I buy you that was ugly." Annslie says "...turtlenecks..." I say "And what else." The heir apparent to Stacie and Clinton says "I don't know but definitely turtlenecks."

Whaa?!? And this is my life with tweenager. These broad rash statements which she makes leaving me to momentarily think "She has hated every article of clothing I've ever bought her, she has been suffering, then I get "turtlenecks."

Argh.

I mean, who ever said turtlenecks were meant to be supremely attractive in the first place? They're to keep you warm, they're a layering piece. Tween girls do not understand this kind of language by the way. There are not enough likes, ums, rights, huhs, or umkays, or mention of BOYS! for their brains to process the information correctly.

I should keep in mind that Annslie's primary wardrobe of choice for the past 3 years has been t-shirts and jeans, the more holes in the jeans the better. The summer wardrobe is the tiniest pair of shorts possible and a skinny skinny strappy tank top, and thus she is not allowed to leave the house like this which has caused innumerable and obscenely dramatic arguments complete with wailing and gnashing of teeth. She's 12 after all, and just because she has better body than I have possessed in my entire life does not mean she should show that body to the whole world. Her father almost passes out at the thought of what might occur should his precious baby girl leave the house in such attire. Meaning boys within the age of 12-14 might see (look at) her and think bad thoughts. She does not socialize with boys without a responsible adult present.

What's wrong with potato sacks? Why can't she like empire wasted babydoll shirts? Why can't baggy pants be in for girls? Why is everything in fashion these days obscenely tight?

Or am I just that old? I'm not sure we will all survive to make it to her high school graduation.

No comments: